How to Prevail in the Courts During These Pandemic Times
Tuesday, November 10, 2020
10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Register: Click to register
Renting during the Pandemic: Avoid Traps for the Unwary
- Conduct financial background
- Obtain Guaranty
- Is the Tenant employed/furloughed/self-employed?
- Can you say no without fear of discrimination?
- Is the Tenant an established Company/Start-up/Franchise?
Is there still an Eviction Moratorium?
Who Does it Impact?
What is the Federal Moratorium’s Impact on Residential and Commercial Landlords and Tenants?
- Evicting Residential Tenants
- Evicting Commercial Tenants.
- Serving a Notice to Quit
- Do’s and Don’ts
- Can you proceed
- Working with Commercial Tenants
Working with Tenants for Nonpayment During the Eviction Moratorium
- Engaging with Tenants in calm manner
- Out of Court repayment agreements
How are Courts handling Litigation and Obtaining Access to the Courts?
- Recent Standing Orders of Courts (Superior, District, Housing)
- Statistics of Courts for Commercial/Residential
- What is being heard and what is successful?
- Taking appropriate steps leading up to filing
- Delay in scheduling of trials / hearings
- Two-Tiered Systems
Are Other States Imposing Moratoriums?
How to handle Security Deposit and Last Month’s Rent
- Avoid violations of M.G.L. c. 93A
- Avoid violations of M.G.L. c. 186, §15B
Documenting Incidents for Best Practice
- Writing it down with specificity
- Taking statements of witnesses and creating business records
Question and Answer